Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Reluctant Readers Have Their Reasons



Do you have a reluctant reader at home? There are two basic types of reluctant readers:
  1. Kids who know how to read but would rather not.
  2. Kids for whom reading is a struggle.

Kids who can read but choose not to have their reasons:
  • They've never read a book they found interesting.
  • Reading equals school and school, for them, is not a fun place.
  • Reading is a sitting down activity and moving around is more fun.

Struggling readers have their reasons. They often have difficulties with:
  • Vocabulary development
  • Decoding skills
  • Reading comprehension
  • Processing information
  • Memory
  • Attention

Each of these reasons takes time to explain. I'll spend several Wednesdays writing about them. I'll pull information from several sources to supplement what I've learned over the years.
Fortunately, there are lots of ways to encourage reluctant readers to read. I'll write about them, too. And I hope you'll share some of the ways you've encouraged your child.
.
When I find an internet site I find especially helpful, I'll pass the link on to you. Please do the same! Today's suggestion is a site I've just discovered:
Reading Rockets is a big site with lots of information. There is a For Parents button in the upper left corner, which I think is a good place to start.
.
The comment box below is for you. Please use it to comment, ask questions, make recommendations and share what's working for you. I look forward to hearing from you!
Gail
.
Note: If you are looking for a little more information about this blog, please click on the HOME button above.

No comments:

Post a Comment