Monday, February 4, 2013

More Books for a Happy Valentine's Day





Did you see last week's collection of Valentine's Day books? There were some good ones, and here are some more. I confess: last year's books had some of my favorites - I couldn't resist adding a few of them to this list.


 My Furry Valentine by Deborah Zemke
This is a very charming book. It’s little – less than 6 inches by 6 inches. It has sweet and funny rhymes and pictures. I think it would make a nice Valentine’s Day gift to a kid or grownup. Yes, it’s furry.


Ruby Valentine Saves the Day by Laurie Friedman, illustrated by Lynne Avril (Sorry, no link.)
It’s not surprising that Valentine’s Day is Ruby Valentine’s favorite Day. She and her feathered friend Lovebird carefully plan out the perfect Valentine’s Day party. But then there is a huge snowstorm. How will Ruby have a party now?


 Celebrating American Holidays: Valentine’s Day by Anita Yasuda
This book combines Valentine information with Valentine activities. The activities include decorations, cards and a recipe for chocolate-dipped fruit.


 The Ballad of Valentine by Alison Jackson, illustrated by Tricia Tusa
What a wonderful book! I don’t know what I like better, the clever words or the just as clever illustrations. Based on an old folk song, these rhymes are so much more fun. You don’t need to know the original tune to enjoy this book but if you can sweet talk someone into singing it, all the better.


Love Letters by Arnold Adoff, illustrated by Lisa Desimini (Sorry, no link.)
This collection of love poems is everything I love about poetry: the poems are simple, understandable and make me smile and nod my head in delight. The poems never make me think, “Huh?” Plus, they are real, not mushy. Give them a try.


 Minnie and Moo: Will You be My Valentine? by Denys Cazet
Poetry-writing cows is one thing – but poetry-writing cows in tutus? This book is hilarious!


 Little Mouse’s Big Valentine by Thatcher Hurd
Little Mouse creates a giant valentine. It’s so big, no one wants it. What will he do with his big valentine? Even though this book was written over 20 years ago, it’s still one of my favorite Valentine’s Day books.


Big Bob and the Magic Valentine’s Day Potato by Daniel Pinkwater, illustrated by Jill Pinkwater
Have you ever heard of the Magic Valentine’s Day Potato? I hadn’t either! Big Gloria thought she’d made him up by now she’s not so sure… I laughed several times while reading this book.


 Slugs in Love by Susan Pearson, illustrated by Kevin O’Malley
Marylou loves everything about Herbie (her list of what she loves about him is hilarious) and writes him a love note (in slime, of course). He doesn’t know who she is and sets out to find her identity. I smiled and chuckled all through this book.


 Holiday Histories: Valentine’s Day by Kathryn A. Midler
I had no idea Valentine’s Day had such a long history. In fact, many people believe it began in ancient Rome. I found out lots of new information by reading this book. There are 18 books in this Holiday Histories series.


There are just 10 more days until Valentine's Day. I hope it is a fun day for you!
Gail

No comments:

Post a Comment