Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Promoting Literacy with ABC Games



The ABCs offer lots of game ideas.


I like this game because the Uh-Oh cards level the playing field. Even players who are good at letter names and sounds can get an Uh-Oh card and have their cards wiped out.

Alphabet I-Spy
Play this when you’re stuck in line or in traffic. Take turns picking out an object in your surroundings and saying, “I spy something that begins with the letter [insert the letter your object begins with].” To narrow down the search, the people guessing can ask you yes or no questions about the object. Whoever guesses right gets to pick the next object.

Go Fish
Sometimes you can find ABC flashcards in the store, with more than one card representing each letter. Use these to play Go Fish. To play, deal out 7 cards to each player (or fewer if several people are playing). Players ask, “Does anyone have a card with a B-word?” If you need directions for the basic game, click here.

Another way to play is to make your own. Click here for the Kiz Club site. It has a bunch of ABC pictures. I so wish I’d known about this site when I was teaching. It would have saved me a ton of time!

Coloring
Just want to chill out coloring? Here are several sites with ABC pictures.

Be sure to check out these posts for more ABC fun:

And come back on Friday for ABC Online Games!
Gail

No comments:

Post a Comment