Monday, August 6, 2012

10 Picture Books for Everyone



Time for more picture books! These are ones I've enjoyed lately and I think you will too.


 I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen
There is something about the bear in this book that I just love. His expression never changes and yet I think I know what he’s thinking. The story: the bear has lost his hat and goes from animal to animal to ask if they’ve seen it. Simple, yes. But I found myself reading it over and over, just to watch this bear.

 You Will Be My Friend! by Peter Brown
Lucy is a young bear. She decides that today is the day she will make a new friend. Unfortunately, her search doesn’t go so well. In fact, the day is almost over and Lucy hasn’t found a new friend. Will she ever find a friend? The illustrations are quirky and funny.

 What Animals Really Like by Fiona Robinson
Are you someone who likes to do things others don’t expect you to like? Well then, you’ll totally get what these animals are going through! Herbert Timberteeth (I think he’s a beaver) has written a song all about what animals like. But… he’s gotten it all wrong. Never mind, he figures it out in the end. Outstanding illustrations!

 Bumble-ardy by Maurice Sendack
Do you remember Where the Wild Things Are? This book is by the same author. Bumble-ardy is a pig who never had a birthday party for his first 8 birthdays. When it’s time for his 9th birthday he decides to give himself one. It’s a beauty of a party with costumes and cake. But what will happen when his aunt comes home and finds a wild rumpus?

 Three Hens and a Peacock by Lester L. Laminack, illustrated by Henry Cole
Things were quiet on the Tuckers’ farm. Until the peacock showed up. He turned out to be very handy. His showiness brought kinds of business to the farm stand. But the hens were jealous. Should they trade places with the new guy? I laughed several times reading this book!

 The Desperate Dog Writes Again by Eileen Christelow
Emma has a problem. When her owner George gets a new girlfriend, she feels very left out. And when this woman brings her dog, this is just too much. Emma e-mails "Ask Queenie," an advice column for dogs who are having problems with difficult humans. I loved Letters from a Desperate Dog and this one is a winner too.

 Sophie’s Fish by A.E. Cannon, illustrated by Lee White
Jake’s friend, Sophie, asks him if he would take care of her fish when she goes on vacation. He says okay, thinking “How hard can it be to take care of a fish?” But before the day she brings her fish over, Jake starts to worry and imagine all kinds of problems. I love the story, the illustrations and the ending. Don’t look ahead!

 The Lonely Book by Kate Bernheimer, illustrated by Chris Sheban
Do you have a book you really, really like? The girl in this story has one and when she and the book are separated, the book gets lonely. I like thinking a book I love misses me when I’m gone!

 Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons by James Dean and Eric Litwin
Pete the Cat has a favorite shirt with 4 buttons – 4 groovy buttons. But… one by one they pop off. No problem, he can still sing his song. There is a link given to hear the book read and the song sung. My only problem – the song is now stuck in my head!

 Beach Feet by Kiyomi Konagaya, illustrated by Masamitsu Saito
The author and the illustrator clearly know beaches! Both the words and the illustrations are beach-perfect. You just can’t help but feel the hot sand, the waves and shell underfoot.


Looking for more (not just for little ones!) picture books? I'll have another bunch next month!
Gail



No comments:

Post a Comment